Google snuck in one of their earth-shaking changes recently, without so much as a "heads-up." Here it is:
Conversions used to mean, "Somebody who clicked your ad just did something good on your site."
So if a visitor opted in to my newsletter and then signed up for the Look Over My Shoulder video series, that counted as two conversions from the same visitor. For that keyword over that time period, my conversion rate would be 200%.
Now, things have changed. A unique visitor can trigger only one conversion. Now the above scenario would register as one conversion and two transactions.
If you’re relying on the AdWords dashboard to give you useful information about your conversions and ROI, forget about it. You need to be setting up and running reports.
Not sure how to go about this? You have several choices:
1. Wait until my current AdWords Ball class is turned into a home study course (March or April 2009).
2. Take the next AdWords Ball course live (April 2009)
3. Hire me as a consultant (right now)
4. Join one of my small group coaching programs (email me at howie AT askhowie DOT com if you’re interested) (January 2009)
5. Join the Ring of Fire online marketing club and get answers to your questions as well as exclusive members-only tutorials and coaching calls. Learn more at http://askhowie.com/ring2009 – first month is free. (right now)